Capitol Trivia tests the memories of the seasoned Capitol hands and offers
newbies a chance to learn something about the dark underbelly of California
1. Which statewide elected official likes to eat their hamburgers plain …
just bread and meat … no condiments at all?
2. Which legislator is a cousin of Ari Fleischer, former press secretary
for President Bush?
3. Many former legislative staff have become members, but can you name any
former members who subsequently became legislative staff?
4. Many state legislators have gone on to serve in Congress. Can you name
any former members of Congress who subsequently served in the Legislature?
5. Which downtown coffee-shop owner played a critical role in the FBI's
undercover sting of the Capitol?
6. Which Assembly speaker worked at an early age in his family's
7. Which state education secretary, touring an elementary-school classroom,
told a student that her name, Isis, meant "stupid, dirty girl"?
1. Jack O'Connell 2. Assembly member Dario Frommer 3. John Williamson
(former assemblyman who became CEO of Senate Rules), Bob Hayes (former
assemblyman who then worked for Senator Alan Robbins), Chuck Bader (former
assemblyman who worked for Assemblyman Jim Brulte), Gerry Felando (former
assemblyman who became chief of staff for Speaker Doris Allen). 4. Merv
Dymally, Wayne Grisham, John Burton 5. Former legislative staffer John
Shahabian, who runs the Jump Start café at 11th and L streets, which
recently moved to a new location. 6. Curt Pringle, now the mayor of Anaheim.
7. Richard Riordan, former Los Angeles mayor and candidate for governor.